Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Interview: Gareth "RobboHuyton" Roberts Talks About The All New Well Red Magazine

Football fanzines you can hold in your hand as you scream at the ref are now as rare as a decent journalist. The Internet has paved the way for any Tom, Dick, or Parry with a computer and an opinion to get their voice heard.

Websites, blogs, Tweets, forums, smart phones, and social networking have all contributed to a decline of the paperbacked handheld opinion created by fans for the fans.
As convenient as it is to hit the Google button and pull up more information than could be read in an entire lifetime; you can't sit on the loo with your desktop balanced on your knees; or glare at your laptop wishing you had got the train with free wi-fi; or pull out your iPhone on the bus with that shady bunch of hooded youths lurking behind you with eyes beadier than a magpie on crack.

So how do you get your Liverpool fix, in depth interviews with Anfield legends, and the opinions of your favourite Red's journos and bloggers at any minute of the day or night?

Well for just three of your hard earned pounds you have a sleek, stylish and discreet, feature packed yet portable, full color display, a handheld information hub with 24 hour accessibility and zero waiting time for pages to download.

Your Well Red Mag comes complete with user friendly search engine (the index at the back), inbuilt jokes application (One Eye on the Enemy), and a must have product that's already being endorsed by all of the big celebrities around town (Tony Barrett, Paul Tomkins).

But more importantly; no comment threads filled with the kind of bile that makes you foam at the mouth as your partner leaves the room in a speedy retreat for the sake of the relationship.

For the same price as an Everton Trophy Compilation 1989-2009 DVD you get the all new LFC fanzine that everyone (who knows about it) is talking about.

Robbohuyton's Well Red Magazine.

The Well Red franchise has been known on the terraces around L4 for sometime already with the Well Red Blog up and running and popularly received for over two years.

It's success is down to the hard work and dedication of editor, sub-editor, production manager, copywriter, match attending reporter, journalist, blogger, tea-boy, and the website's only employee: Gareth "RobboHuyton" Roberts.

As the much anticipated launch of Well Red Magazine's first edition rapidly approaches, The Liverpool Opinion's very own scribe, Jamie Ward, chats with Huyton-born Gareth about his new venture in to the glossy world of football fanzine publications.



Has the magazine, from initial idea to final publication, been a difficult thing to put together and get off the ground?

It's not difficult in terms of ideas and content, there's so much around Liverpool FC to discuss and write about. The difficulty has been finding the time and the money to get it going. In the end, it was a case of I'll never know unless I try.



Do you have a mission statement for the Well Red Mag and can you give a bit more detail about what the readers have in store?

In the first edition there's contributions from The Times' North-west Football Correspondent Tony Barrett and best-selling LFC football writer Paul Tomkins. If I can maintain that standard of contributor as the mag goes on, I'll be a very happy man.

Success will determine which contributors will take part in the future, but regular features are likely to include guest columns from well-know journalists with a Red leaning, interviews with ex-players, and the "Action Replay" section which looks back at the glory years at LFC.

The aim is for a bi-monthly publication but it all depends on how well received the magazine is in the coming months. Obviously if people don't buy it, it won't last long as, unlike other publications, Well Red doesn't have the backing of a multi-national company.

As for a mission statement I'd like for Well Red to be the home of quality, considered opinion on Liverpool FC and also to be an independent voice for the fans.

I believe what the fans think often goes unheard and the good work by supporters like Spirit of Shankly, the Hillsborough Justice Campaign and the boycott of The S*n, often goes unreported and unnoticed by many.



Do you have a personal favorite section of the magazine?

It's pretty much my brainchild, so I'll say it's all good. But then I would say that.

If pushed I'll go for "One eye on the enemy" which is a bit of a dig at our beloved friends across Stanley Park and at the other end of the East Lancs.

The intention is to stoke our traditional rivalries and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. it's a vital part of the game.



The magazine may still be in its infancy, but your blog has been up and running for two years now: What inspired you to start up the Well Red Blog?

Initially, I was just jumping on the bandwagon as every self-respecting journalist seemed to be blogging.

I wanted to see what all the fuss was about and it gives me my own little corner of the Internet to do with what I see fit.



What aspect of LFC do you enjoy writing about and what would you consider your most successful contributions to your site?

I much prefer to be writing about what happens on the pitch but more and more that's being overshadowed by what's happening off the pitch.

I'd say my most successful work would be up to other people to decide. In terms of popularity, a piece I wrote about Xabi Alonso just before he left the club has to be up there. The blog seemed to really take off after that.

I've had a lot of good feedback about my off the field articles, too.

Recently, a post about the Anfield derby attracted a lot of hits but that was for all the wrong reasons as a load of angry Evertonians visited the blog!



You have been involved in the media for quite some time now; Can you go in to a bit more detail about your job and how it has aided your blog and magazine?

I've worked in newspapers since 1998, although I had some time out as a magazine editor for a local authority and a copywriter for a university. I'm back at the coal face now working on newspapers and, to be honest, I think it suits me much better than the corporate world!

Obviously that helps with the blog and the mag in that I can identify what makes for an interesting read (I think!).



I think we've plugged Well Red quite enough for now so can you tell us a bit more about yourself; are there any other club's in world football you admire?

Barcelona. I've been to the Nou Camp twice now. Great club. Not big on any other sports anymore. Used to follow England in the cricket many years ago but my interest dried up.

Don't mind the odd bit of non-league footie, a legacy of my days reporting on Marine FC.



How did you become a Liverpool Supporter?

I've supported the club as long as I can remember. I think I got into it from lads I knew as a kid as my old fella's not a big football fan. I can vividly remember getting my first kit in 1984 and convincing myself I was Kenny Dalglish. Sadly, I wasn't.

I didn't get to my first game until 1990, a League Cup game against Crewe which we won 5-1.

The best LFC game attended, predictably, is Istanbul. I doubt that will ever be topped. Winning in the Nou Camp was pretty special too, though.

The worst game attended is probably an FA Cup tie with Coventry at Anfield which we lost 3-1. It's the only time in 20 years of going to the game that I've left early.



Are there things about the club that really make your blood boil right now?

The owners and the supporters who bury their head in the sand about the owners.



Are there any players you would hate to see leave the club?

It will be a sad day when Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard hang up their boots, as it's great to have a local heartbeat to the club. The lack of players coming through from the city is a big concern, although Martin Kelly looks a good player.

Fernando Torres and Pepe Reina are also key to the club's immediate future, it's vital we keep hold of both of them.



If you could pick a player who you think their time should be up at Anfield?

Time is up for Phillip Degen for me. He doesn't look to have the quality to cut it in the Premier League.



What do you believe are some of the best aspects about the current manager, and what you think he has achieved at the club since his appointment.

Rafa has kept Liverpool competitive on resources dwarfed by our rivals. For that reason alone, he deserves respect.

Throw in the European Cup, the FA Cup, a brilliant record in the Champions League and coming so close to No. 19 and you can see why he is still rated as one of the best managers in Europe.



If Rafael Benitez was to leave, are there any candidates you think would do a worthy job?

Guus Hiddink would be the obvious one as he's got experience, tactical nous and he would be a big name that would attract players.

That's all fantasy football though; until a buyer for the club is found, Liverpool are snookered. If Benitez did go, I shudder to think who we would go for in the current circumstances. It wouldn't be Hiddink, that's for sure.



Thanks to Gareth for taking time out from his very busy schedule to answer a few questions and of course for providing us with the Well Red Blog and Magazine.
 
If you would like to know more about the Blog and Magazine then go to the right hand side of The Liverpool Opinion Website and find the Recommended Links Section.
 
You can pre-order the first edition right now for £3 by going to wellredmag.co.uk and placing your order, which can be delivered anywhere in the world.